Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Disney World Continued

So the first day, after the flight fiasco we got settled in our hotel room.  For anyone who ever books a vacation package through the Disney website, please be aware that whatever hotel you are staying at takes your bags directly from the airport to your hotel room, which is amazing, but not if you don't know that. We stood at baggage claim for a solid half hour and even started checking other flights thinking it got mixed up. We kept looking at each other in a panic. I had a laptop in my bag, about $500 worth of clothes, all my make up, my hair dryer, straightener, my life, you know, those kinds of things. Finally we went to the information desk and they explained this to us.  Would have been great to know at some point before that.


If you've never been to Disney before, it's literally a 'whole new world', and I'm just trying to be lame and steal quotes from Aladdin--It's seriously like you've stepped out of the real world and into a warp of somesort where everyone is extremely jolly and friendly.  There's 'Disney magical express' busses that take you to all the parks, except Universal Studios, that's not part of Disney. Ben had to remind me of this at least 16 thousand times while we were there. If the busses can't get somewhere, then the Disney monorail system will whip you around to restaurants and what not.

The Magic Kingdom was really fun.  I'd have to say my favorite ride here was definitely the Haunted Mansion. It's really amazing how they do some of the effects on these rides. The ballroom part of the ride is the best part, and you walk out of there actually feeling pretty creeped out. Sounds a little stupid, but bits and peices of that ride would pop up in my dreams for like a week after. I found a video of it on youtube, but it's pretty dark. If you move it to about 3:48 you'll be able to see the ballroom. http://youtu.be/LG7n2ZD1z_U It just doesn't do it justice though, it's something you have to see for yourself. We went on Space Mountain, which I loved. It's a pitch black, indoor coaster. Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger spin, Pirates of the Carribean, and of course, It's a Small World.  Wow...that ride is annoying. After that, I was so exhausted.  The lack of sleep from the night before started to really hit me, so we headed back to the hotel and we passed out in our beds. Heh.

The next morning (Sunday) we had Alamo car rental come pick us up so we could rent a car.  I am 25 and have a valid driver's lisence, so we figured we wouldn't have a problem. Wrong.  I guess you have to have a major credit card, and I only had my bank card (which is a Mastercard...I didn't get it...still don't).  Ben, who is only 23, ended up having to put the car in his name with $40 extra for insurance.  As the guy is ringing us up he says, "Would you like to be upgraded to a Camaro for an additional fee?'  Ben's eyes lit up.  "How much extra?"

"80 dollars a day."

After a brief moment of hesitation, a smile stretched across his face. "Screw it, let's get the Camaro."



And off we went in a 2011 Camaro. 

Universal Studios was next on our list.  It was sunny and 85 by the time we got there.  I was feeling much better today having gotten a full nights sleep.  I'm sure you all remember that the 1 place I wanted to see most was The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  This place was amazing.








Once inside, I had made up my mind that I wanted a want from Ollivanders wand shop. We waited in line for 45 minutes in the scorching sun to get inside this place.  While we were waiting, Ben got us some Butterbeer, which is not beer at all, but a VERY rich creme soda with a frothy melted ice-cream substance on top. I could only handle about a half a glass of it. Both Ben and I felt sick after drinking it--definitely not something you should get while walking around in the sun for hours and going on rides. Of course, right after we drank Butterbeer and left Ollivanders with our new wands, we went on the Dueling Dragons rollercoaster. I had such a headache after that. Between the heat, Butterbeer, and being whipped violently about on that coaster was not a good combo.  We went to Jurassic Park after that and sat down for some dry as leather chicken strips.



(Side note: I found out just recently my idol, Bert the Conqueror was there the very next day after we were. I was SO crushed.  Bert is the only reason I went on the Raging Bull last summer.  I would have loved to meet him!  http://youtu.be/ZXDhICjInVk )

We went on a few more rides before we called it a day. My head was starting to throb at that point and all I wanted to do was go jump in the pool at the hotel and cool off. We went to Universal two days in a row, ending our second night at Bubba Gump shrimp before we went back to the hotel for some much needed beers.























And this is where I leave you my friends.  Once again the work day is over and I will start with Epcot next time:)

Byebye.

No comments: