Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hula Hooping

Hello friends. I realize I've been gone for quite a long time, but I've been extremely busy.  Once we got back from Florida I was pretty much bombarded with work at the office.

I realized that my blog is going nowhere fast, and I want to give it a kick start. My blog was originally intended to keep me on track of my weightloss journey by blogging about it everyday. That was obviously short lived.  I kept up on my word though as far as my personal goals. I guess I decided that instead of busting ass and practically killing myself, that I was going to do it my way.  It occured to me one day while going over the Weightwatchers diet, that all it is, is portion control and eating a lot of dietary fiber and proteins.  I joined the gym, was there about 2 years, and then hated it. All the old people would congregrate in there in the morning and gossip (loudly--usually yelling across the entire gym to each other), and then some guy started hitting on me every morning and I'd finally had enough.  The gym was split into two parts, one being cardio and one being weights. I would be allllll the way over on the bike, and he would be alllll the way over on the bench press, and he would come allllll the way over to where I was biking and turn the fan on above me that was on a timer. That fan is obviously not going to be cooling you off, so why are you coming all the way over here to turn it on???? Then he would awkwardly start asking me about my life...where I went to school, why I wasn't there yesterday, etc...I probably could have told this dumb ass that I was married and he'd say, "Oh, cool...so when are we going to hang out?" Vultures I tell ya. Not to mention I'm sweaty and in my gross gym clothes, so....I don't get it.

I ended up quitting the gym and taking up hula hooping.  You can hula hoop for hours, break a nice sweat, and it's so much more fun then going to the gym. This is just my opinion of course, but I personally hate the gym.  I find it to be repetivtive and boring, whereas hulahooping, is only $20-30 bucks for a decent homemade hoop and you can pretty much do it anywhere.  I made my own hoop firstly, which required a trip to Menards, 1" plumbing tubing, 1" pvc tube connector, a few rolls of duct tape and colored electrical tape and ta-da! My hoop. 

When I made the hoop, I did not follow the key point in which you are supposed to put a hair dryer on the the openings to widen it and put the connector in. Instead, I just got a smaller connector and duct taped it together so after a little bit, the hoop eventually stretched out into a tear drop shape, so every once in awhile I have to cut the tape off and retape it. After a month or so, I ended up buying another one off my friend who makes them, so I have both of them now. The purple hoop is weighted because of the particular piping I used, so it's better to exercise with. My red and black hoop is bigger, lighter, and ideal for doing tricks with.  I will eventually be posting a video on here as soon as I can muster up the courage.  I feel a little weird knowing that my face will be on youtube, so I'm biding my time, but I'm picking it up quick and I LOVE it. I would suggest it to anyone who wants to switch up their exercise routine.

No comments: