Wednesday, February 29, 2012

RIP Davy Jones

December 30, 1945 - February 29, 2012

I am saddened to hear the news of Davy Jones.  I have been an avid Monkees fan since I was a kid and have carried it on with me into my adulthood.  They were a big part of my life and still are.  My mom always told me I was born in the wrong era.

I used to save whatever birthday or allowance money I earned just to run to Suncoast and purchase episodes of their series on VHS. I remember, the VHS's costs me $14.95 every time.  Only two episodes at a time. Eventually Suncoast (like most of the other stores in the mall) closed down and I couldn't find them in any other stores. I probably gave Suncoast most of their business. I was short all but two of their albums (cds), I had the box set, the movies, shirts -- I acquired quite the collection, even down to the green wool hat that Mike wore.

The Monkees were my first concert when I was only 12. My dad drove my sister and I to the Star Plaza Theater in Merrillville, IN one sunny Friday afternoon in 1998, and I was blown away.  The venue was small. They let people go up to the stage, to possibly get a handshake during a song, or perhaps a rose from the bunch that Davy was holding. I remember being so close that I could see up Peter's nose as he beat a song out on the keyboard. I couldn't have been happier -- I could see up Peter's nose...What a delight. I was staring at his gray/blond hair bouncing in the light as he played. I was starstruck. Peter, Micky and Davy were simply 3 feet away...almost at an arms length.  Davy was dancing about, Mick Jagger style, tossing roses here and there, and much to my disbelief, one flew at me in slow motion. I went back to my seat in a daze. Mike didn't show at this concert, which was disappointing for me.  I kept hoping throughout the night that he would come walking out on stage, waving to all of our grinning faces staring back at him, but he did not.

In fact, before the concert started, I was actually imagining the boys from 1966 running out in their red polyester shirts with 8 gold buttons and gray bell bottoms. I knew they were much older, but my imagination got the best of me. Gosh, I loved them - and I still do.

I still have that rose. It's potpourri now, but I have it.

My heart broke today when I learned of this news.  All of his fans have heavy hearts to see him go.  As Mike Nesmith put it today, "I wish him safe travels".

Good-bye Davy, Rest in Peace, my friend.

Love, Peace and Hugs always.


No comments: